Thursday, May 11, 2000

Sex, Economy, Freedom & Community

by Wendell Berry

Wendell Berry is an essayist who stirs up mixed feelings in me. When he questions the status quo, my first reaction is to cheer him on, but sometimes I find that I'm standing right in the middle of the s.q. and those barbs start coming right towards me. Basically, Mr. Berry is all for a simple life in small, rural, self-sustaining communities. He feels that big business, big government and big cities are all unhealthy and detrimental to the general populace. (Small cities tied into the surrounding farm country are cool, but not the huge metropolises.)(metropoli?) Just about all he has to say is worth listening to, whether you end up agreeing with him or not. The most unpleasant truth that he often speaks is that things are screwed up and that we are part of the cause. So I have to say check it out, even if you don't want a philosophical challenge. It's good for you.

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]