Wednesday, June 07, 2000

Republic

by Michael Jan Friedman

This is volume one of the Star Trek "My Brother's Keeper" trilogy. That sounds so pretentious, doesn't it? (Or maybe not, given the mania for sequels these days.) But like other Trek, it's hardly Shakespeare. Not that I was looking for Shakespeare. This was a book I picked up at a used book store because I had some time to kill and wanted something to read over my burger and fries. It fulfilled that purpose admirably. The tale is a about an adventure early in the career of James T. Kirk. (If you don't know who James T. Kirk is, just skip to the next review. I'm sure that there are plenty of Star Trek web sites that could explain it better than I.)  The framing sequence is set just after the events of the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before". In the aftermath of that story, Kirk recounts how he first met his friend Gary Mitchell and how they happened to save the day when serving aboard the starship Republic. As a fan of the show, I appreciated seeing an untold tale of Kirk's youth. That's probably the best feature of the book. The story in and of itself has its moments, but otherwise it's pretty much standard Star Trek. Definitely waiting room material, unless you're a fanatic Trekker.

LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]