Sunday, October 22, 2000

The Weekend Genealogist

by Marcia Yannizze Melnyk

I've had a mild interest in genealogy for a number of years. I would love to know from where my ancestors came, but, alas, I don't want to do the actual work involved in tracking down the information. Or at least not all that much of it. Anyway, I thought The Weekend Genealogist would fit the bill for me. I was hoping it would show me the secrets to getting family information with a minimum amount of effort. In that area, I was disappointed. This book is for serious researchers -- those who will try to document names, places and whatever details they can find. It doesn't tell you how to avoid hard work, but rather how to make that effort more efficient and, hopefully, more productive. For a genealogical novice such as myself, it was interesting to catch a glimpse in another's avocation -- to sense the author's love of the field and to read the tales of genealogical research. Since I am a novice, I couldn't really judge the worth of the book to its intended audience. I liked it a lot, and it might be good waiting room material for you.

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]