Wednesday, May 16, 2001

Lord of Light

by Roger Zelazny

Good book. I enjoyed reading it. Not much else to say about it really. The premise is that long ago, a group of spacefarers from Earth landed on a planet and settled there. Over the years they have set up a sheltered society, based loosely on the Hindu religion. Many of the original crew, the First, still live by transferring to new bodies. They have assumed the role of the Hindu pantheon, aided by technology and cultivated psychic powers. One party of the First want to keep the status quo by restricting the commoner's access to technology. They manage to take control and get a firm grip on things. One of the other party, Sam, wants to liberate the oppressed normals. The book documents two attempts he makes to do that. (The book had two copyright dates, so I suspect that the novel is an expansion of an earlier story.) As I said, I enjoyed reading it, but it did not excite me too greatly. Perhaps if I was better versed in Hinduism I'd have appreciated it more. Maybe not. However, I would definitely want to finish the book if I picked it up in a waiting room, so I'll rate it check it out.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]