Tuesday, September 18, 2001

Nightfall and Other Stories

by Isaac Asimov

Here's some irony for you: I just finish talking about exposing myself to the scientific mindset (The Soul of Science, above), and now I review a collection of stories by my favorite secular humanist, Isaac Asimov. Our theologies disagree, but I enjoy his writing, both the stories and his introductions to the same.(I don't think I've read any of his non-fiction... I may have to change that one of these years.) Anyway, this is a nice collection of tales ranging from 1941's "Nightfall" to 1967's "Segregationist". The rationale behind the collection is to see how "Nightfall", which many consider Asimov's best story, compares with his later work. He was a bit miffed that a story written so early in his career was considered his best work. Well, with all due respect to the late Dr. Asimov, I thought that "Nightfall" was the best tale in the book. Not that the rest of the book isn't great. Anyway, I enjoyed the collection immensely and recommend it to all. This one's on my shelf.

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]