Friday, November 23, 2001

Rebels: The Conquered

by Daffyd ab Hugh

Guess what? I bought another Star Trek book at the Friends of the Library sale. (YAWN) I know, I know. I should know better. But this one had caught my eye before and I decided to risk 50 cents. Rebels is a trilogy featuring characters from the series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The story is not complete, so be prepared to get all three novels, unless, like me, you decide not to finish the story. Anyway, one of the appeals of the TV series for me was the planet of Bajor. It was a planet that was poor, recovering from alien oppression and had a deep religious aspect to their culture. I was eager to see how that society worked and how they played off of the clean, comfortable and secular Federation. The series never really developed that, and seemed to focus more on the standard space opera shenanigans that we've all come to know and love. The Conquered plays out much the same. You get a couple of glimpses of Bajoran life and culture, but the bulk of the book is the Federation guys running into trouble on another strange, new world. Oh well. I should probably try to find a good book on a real culture and not try to get my anthropology fix from a science fiction book. Anyway, in a pinch, Rebels:The Conquered will serve as waiting room material, assuming you've already read the other offerings.

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]