Saturday, December 29, 2001

Animating Culture

by Eric Smoodin

Warning! This is a book from a university press (Rutgers University Press, to be specific) about cartoons. So you know the author is going to take the subject way too seriously. I didn't realize what I bought when I grabbed it off the table at the Library sale, but I quickly realized what I had done. But I enjoyed reading the book anyway. Despite the academics, this book contains a lot of historical info. It's by no means a comprehensive survey of film animation, but rather covers a few areas of the genre from the 30s and 40s, concentrating mostly on Disney. In addition to just viewing the cartoons and interviewing the folks involved, Mr. Smoodin also accessed files from the State Department, IRS, FBI and the Library of Congress. It gave a unique twist to the history presented. This one makes for great waiting room material.

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]