Saturday, January 19, 2002

The Innocents Abroad, Volume 1

by Mark Twain

Occasionally I get tempted enough to read a real classic. In this case the temptation arose from PBS. Years ago, I saw part of a TV movie based on this book, an account of a European trip taken by Mr. Clemens (the real name of Mark Twain, for those of you who haven't had high school English) in 1867. I told myself then that I should either see the whole movie or read the book. Then, a few weeks ago, I saw a bit of Ken Burns' documentary on Mark Twain and decided it was time to crack open The Innocents Abroad. So I went down to the library and reserved it on the computer. Days passed, I got notice that my book was in and I went down to the neighborhood branch and came home with... a videotape of the TV movie. Guess I didn't look at the computer too closely. Well, I enjoyed the film in its entirety, noting a few scenes which seemed to be modern inventions, and then returned to the library to get the right item. I almost succeeded. I managed to check out Volume one of The Innocents Abroad. SIGH! Well, Volume 1, at least is great. I found out that a great deal of the teleplay has been altered. I can't fuss too much over it, because I'm sure Brooke Adams is more interesting too watch than whomever they might get to play the man who actually hung out with Mr. Clemens and the doctor on their excursion. But like almost any cinematic adaption, the book (or at least its foremost volume) is far superior. I love seeing the world through another's eyes and Mr. Clemens is a master of describing what he sees -- praising the magnificent and mocking the overblown. (We may sometimes disagree on what deserves praise or criticism, but I have a high degree of tolerance for my opponents if they're entertaining enough.) If I ever mange to find this at a library sale, I will definitely put it on my shelf. Assuming volume two doesn't degenerate into wothless dreck...
UPDATE: It didn't.
LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]