Wednesday, April 10, 2002

Spectre

by William Shatner with Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens

Whenever I go to the Friends of the Library semi-annual book sale in Seattle, I have to pick up the obligatory science fiction novel. I don't know why I have this habit, but I do. Anyway, this spring I was a bit rushed, and I ended up picking up William Shatner's Preserver. So why aren't I reviewing that? Well, Preserver is the third book of a Star Trek trilogy, Spectre is the first. Anyway, as I've said before, Shatner and the Reeves-Stevenses write pretty good stuff... for Star Trek novels, anyway. This tale deals with the resurrected Captain Kirk, who is trying to settle down with the love of his life. Normally the resurrection angle would turn me off to the book, but this trilogy ties in with the Star Trek episode, "Mirror, Mirror." And I love alternate universe tales... even alternate imaginary universe tales. Anyway, it's an engaging tale, even if everybody treats Captain Kirk like a demi-god. There's a running tension over whom is real and whom is a "mirror universe counterpart" that gets a bit tired. But I suppose that it's an inevitable consequence of the whole parallel universe schtick. I guess I'll rate this as waiting room material, though I'd hate to start reading this and have to leave it behind after my appointment.

LibraryThing link

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]