Monday, July 22, 2002

The Year's Best Science Fiction

edited by Gardner Dozois

It took me a few months to read this title. A co-worker lent it to me as he always sees me reading over lunch and I didn't feel comfortable taking it home with me. My review started writing itself when I skimmed the opening credits -- two of the names there were names that I recognized from my brief membership in the Teen Writers Organization of America. Fortunately for my ego, they were only editorial assistants and hadn't penned any of the featured tales. (Seriously, I don't even know if it's the same Jim Allen or Gordon Van Gelder who were in the TWO*A. Either way, my hat's off to their accomplishment.) Still it started me thinking of doing a long, drawn out rumination about my youthful ambitions and all that. But that just led me to think about the girl I met through TWO*A and, well, I haven't got to the point where I'm willing to talk about those youthful ambitions on the web. Even if it was more interesting than any writing I did with the group. But I digress. It's been a while since I've read a "best" collection of science fiction. This one, for 1999, certainly lived up to it's title. I can only think of one tale that I found to be boring, and a number which were great to read. I'd give you titles and names of the best, but I don't recall them, and since the book was borrowed, I can't look them up. However, I think I'll keep my eyes open for a copy and get one to put on my shelf.

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]