Sunday, September 29, 2002

HTML 4 for the World Wide Web

by Elizabeth Castro

If you've perused my little website here*, you've probably noticed a lack of, shall we say, quality. I admit it. For the past few years this site has been constructed by me using SimpleText, the Macintosh system text editor, and the handful of HTML commands I have picked up off a list or deciphered from source pages. (Oh, last year I did ask the guys over at the Unearthed Ruminations message board how to make a link come up in a separate window.) Well, bit by bit I have been becoming dissatisfied with the status quo. I like keeping my code short and to the point, but I am getting tired of seeing the iCab frowny face on my web pages and being clueless as to how to fix it. What pushed me over the edge was the discovery of an old friend's personal web site which was quite beautiful in it's design. (It's now offline, alas.) I was a bit embarrassed to tell her about mine, knowing she might venture and gaze upon the ugly, ol' thing. Anyway, even though I got over that and rededicated myself to the motto "It's ugly, but it's fast", I did pick this book up from the library. It simply describes version four of the HTML code and takes you step-by step through using the various commands. It was very well written and organized. If I wasn't such a cheapskate, I'd buy a copy for myself. But then again, if I wasn't such a cheapskate, I'd probably be running a DSL modem and wouldn't give one thought to those running text only browsers. Anyway, if you want to learn HTML, check it out. I think the wisdom garnered from that tome will one day enable me to make iCab smile upon these pages. (Assuming I ever find time to recode them...)

LibraryThing link

*This was originally published on my own website on a free community network. That site is gone, along with my simple design.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]