Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Studies in the Short Story

edited by Julian L. Maline and James Berkley

My personal library has been built in a variety of ways. This book is a leftover from high school. I think it was a literature class in my freshman year. I don't know why I hung onto it, as there are derogatory comments written on the contents page and in spots throughout the book--boring, dumb, gay. (Back in high school that was an insult...) But hang onto it I did, and now over 20 years later, I have actually read through the whole thing. This was a classic case of casting pearls before swine. As a literature text book, the volume is naturally full of stories that have stood out amongst others and posses a measure of quality. Stories by Poe, Twain, Steinbeck, Faulkner, Wells, and other famous names. Back then I didn't understand them. The only story I recall actually enjoying was Richard Connell's "The Most Dangerous Game". This time around however, there's not a clunker in the lot. I'm going to put it on my shelf and hopefully not wait another 20 years to crack it again. If this weren't a 35 year old textbook, I'd recommend you grab a copy too.

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]