Sunday, November 24, 2002

Heaven on Earth

by Robert Tobias

This is a little piece of propaganda sent out in the mid-1990's to congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and some Orthodox Church here in the Americas. (The book isn't clear on that and I'm not familiar with the organization of that church body.) It's a collection of anecdotes and spiritual reflections meant to accompany the official reports of dialogues held between the ELCA and the Orthodox church. I picked it up from the Library sale because I have a slight curiosity about the Orthodox church and I figured that a book that contrasts their church and a Lutheran one would be enlightening. It was, to an extent. It didn't give me a handle on the doctrine or practice so I could go out and explain the Orthodox beliefs to anyone. The benefit I received from this book was more in reminding me that my own worldviews are not universal and that sometimes there is another, equally valid way of looking at some aspect of life on this earth. Nothing earth-shattering, but definitely makes great waiting room material

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]