Sunday, November 03, 2002

The Koran

translated by N. J. Dawood

(Disclaimer: I'm a Christian, so I was hardly able to give this an unbiased reading.)
For a number of years now I've had it in my mind to read the Quran, the holy book of Islam. That desire became more of a priority since September 11th and finally, at the last Friends of the Library book sale, I searched out and bought my own copy. It's not an "official" copy. Dawood is a scholar who wants to leave the questions "of Mohammed's prophethood and his theological sources" to the reader to decide for him or herself. He even has rearranged the surahs from their classic organization to one that is more thematic. (But he does provide the traditional numbering, so I was able to read the book in the traditional order.) But like some of the non-traditional translations or paraphrases of the Bible, I think that the main message can still come through. First off, I was slightly surprised that the book wasn't as lame or unreadable as it might have been. There are some beautiful expressions of faith in God, even though they're tarnished by an incomplete understanding of Him. I can see why this book has stood the test of time. Where it fell short--the reason it didn't make me interested in becoming a Muslim--is that there's a subtle focus on Mohammed. Over and over again The Koran reiterates that Allah can and will raise the dead, that those who had scoffed at previous prophets suffered for it, that Allah has no daughters, that those who deny the Quran's message will suffer in hell. These are things that all tie in with Mohammed's problems as he tried to bring his message to the people of Mecca and Medina. In contrast, the Bible talks about people of various stations and in various situations relating to God and each other. We see Moses as an infant, a sinner, a priest, and an administrator as well as the prophet who confronted Pharaoh. In The Koran, you only see the latter. Like the Book of Mormon, I found The Koran to be rather lackluster in comparison to the Bible. Unlike the New Testament, I found no continuity between the Old Testament and The Koran. If this is a new revelation from Allah, why doesn't it fit together as well? Anyway, I would recommend that you check it out, if you're so inclined. But you'd be much better off reading the Bible. 

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]