Sunday, November 17, 2002

The Purpose Driven Church

by Rick Warren

I didn't want to read a church growth book. I was looking to attend a seminar for small churches. I was kind of hoping that they would offer ideas for congregations to function as small churches rather than operating with the constant desire to be big someday. But I let inertia drag me to the seminar even after I found out that it was church growth and this book came with the package. I was surprised. Dr. Warren is not a shallow, suburban airhead. In 1979, he felt called by God to plant a church. He was led to the Saddleback Valley in Lake Forest, California and started reaching out to the unchurched people living there. The boy done good. The church has grown to about 18,000 (as of 1995) and intentionally pushes its members to be strong and faithful servants for Jesus Christ. In The Purpose Driven Church, Dr. Warren explains the principles by which he founded, has grown and operates his congregation. Like I said, I was surprised when I read the book. As I went through it I realized that Dr. Warren has some very good points, based more on scripture than on marketing principles. I was uncomfortable when he pointed out problems that I recognized in my own church (and self). I was also convicted when I realized that I'm prejudiced against upper-middle class, suburban Americans--the very people to whom Dr. Warren and his church ministers. But despite the discomfort, I was able to read the book and might have even learned from it. Now, the book is not perfect. Dr. Warren naturally pulls examples from his own congregation, and that left me curious how the principles would play out with a different social class or ethnic group. I was also annoyed at the lack of references. Dr. Warren mentions enough outside sources that he comes across as well read in theology and church history--at least until he says, "Remember, they burned Wycliffe at the stake ..." According to the books on my shelf, John Wycliffe died a natural death. It makes me wonder whether his other references are legit, but as the only books he mentions by title are the Bible and some of his other works, I can't easily check it out. Anyway, if you hold any sort of leadership position in a Christian church, check this out. Errors aside, it should give you something to ponder. If not, perhaps you need to be writing your own book. 

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]