Friday, December 06, 2002

Daniel: Encouragement for Faith

by Paul E. Deterding

When I started planning for this Fall's session of the Thursday morning Bible class, I polled the class for what they wanted to study. The consensus was for something from the Old Testament and the one definite preference voiced asked to study either Ezekiel or Daniel. Well, I'll spare you my feelings of ambivalence over apocalyptic books, but I will tell you that I ran to get a study put out by my own denomination. I wanted to get the party line regarding the interpretations of the various prophecies and cryptic references before I started wading through the various theories that have been proposed over the centuries. Anyway, this Bible study booklet is very conservative and down to earth. Actually, I was quite disappointed at first, as I went through the narrative tales that make up the first half of Daniel. I found the study to be very lacking. (Especially since I was reading Longman's Daniel (above) at the same time.) It made up for it in chapter seven, when the Bible starts recounting visions and prophecies. Deterding brought in enough historical data to let me understand what was being predicted and helped me to pull some meaning from it all. Given it's theological stance, I'll have to give it a biased check it out

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]