Thursday, February 27, 2003

Mac OS X Unleashed

by John and William C. Ray

I pride myself on being able to figure things out, but sometimes I need a leeetle bit of help. This is happening once again as my company is making the transition to the latest Macintosh operating system, OS X. I've heard that there are a number of changes to the system and that it's not quite as idiot proof as the previous Mac systems. (My first attempt to play with OS X resulted in a frantic hour late one Saturday night. 'Twas a problem that was due, I believe, to moving a few files out of the appropriate folder.) So I made a rare financial investment in my (snicker!) career and bought this book. It does a nice enough job explaining the new system and pointing out major differences between it and its predecessors. It also gives a good explanation of OS X's origins and the rationale behind some of the changes. (So now I'll stop cussing every time I have to log in just to use the estupido computer) From there, however, it goes on to detail the possibilities offered by the UNIX system 'pon which OS X rests. It was a bit interesting. However, I don't see myself using much of it, even if I should somehow be granted administrative access to the system. I guess I'm not the tech head I used to be. Anyway, even though I sometimes wish I had bought Robin William's OS X book instead, I would definitely recommend that anyone running a modern Macintosh check this book out.

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]