Friday, April 25, 2003

Jefferson Park Reconstructed

by the Jefferson Park Alliance 

I recently signed up for a neighborhood e-mail list. I figured that after almost ten years of residing here on Beacon Hill, I should make a little more effort to get out amongst my neighbors, even if it's only in cyberspace. Anyway, it's been interesting and mostly fun, but the high point has been when one neighbor praised this book and offered to loan it to anyone interested in reading it. After some deliberation, I gathered my courage and took him up on his offer. This is a small book produced by the Jefferson Park Alliance, a group of neighbors who have gathered together in an attempt to guide the improvement of the big park in our neighborhood. It looks at the history of the park from its beginnings, as a potential site for the University of Washington in the late 19th Century, to the present day. The land has seen many changes over the years, serving as pasture lands for cows, a prison, picnic grounds, golf courses, an Army recreational camp, and a Veteran's Hospital. And there have been almost as many proposed uses which never managed to come to fruition. For me, it was a fascinating read as I learned the history of my current home. (I'm of the mindset that everyone should learn about the history of their town or neighborhood, but I digress.) It helps me appreciate the park as it exists now and also gives some perspective as I encounter the forces that are trying to change Beacon Hill today. Anyway, I would certainly recommend this to my neighbors, and I would think that this might also be interesting waiting room material for anyone else.  

No LibraryThing link!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]