Thursday, April 10, 2003

Philosophy and Contemporary Issues

by John R. Burr and Milton Goldinger

I took a Philosophy class way back in my first year at the venerable College of DuPage. My expectations were high--I was expecting to be introduced to and enthralled with all sorts of great ideas. The reality turned out to be rather tedious. In ruminating over the experience, I figured that my problem was that the issues covered were extremely abstract, where I was interested in ideas with more practical applications in everyday life. Well, now, 20 years later, I've had a chance to read through my wife's philosophy text book and find that I haven't changed much. This book is a collection of articles to introduce some of the main areas of philosophical thought along with some modern issues which fall under these categories. Some were fascinating, some bored me to tears. (The ones with the big words, mostly.) And a lot of time, I found my self saying, "Yeah, but does it really matter?" Oh, well. This would make for some good waiting room material. Plus it contains plenty of booklists to aid one in pursuing those ideas that capture one's attention. 

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]