Friday, June 20, 2003

The Waiting Child

by Cindy Champnella 

This book is all about the love of a "mother" for her child. I know, I know. I really need to see my doctor about falling testosterone levels. But I have an excuse. My wife was the one who got this from the library and I had to read it right away before she took it back. Why bother? Well, it's an intriguing tale. It's the story of a little girl, now named Jaclyn, who was adopted from an orphanage in China and essentially nagged her family to go back and adopt the younger boy whom she "mothered" there. The fact that her aunt and uncle were able to manage to adopt the little fella is something of a miracle, but the really amazing thing about this story is Jaclyn's love for the boy she called "Xiao Mei Mei". (I won't translate that lest I spoil the surprise, but you Chinese speakers are probably scratching your heads) That four year old girl had a devotion and sense of justice that puts a lot of us adults to shame. It also moved a number adults to help out a little boy who needed a family. I pray that those qualities continue to grow in Jaclyn as she grows up. Anyway, this is a compelling story that is definitely worth checking out, even for you macho men out there. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read some Conan the Barbarian or something... 

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]