Monday, August 25, 2003

The Three Musketeers

by Alexandre Dumas

This book I already had on my shelf. I had bought and thoroughly enjoyed it years ago. I forget why I first bought it. Maybe it was because I had recently seen and enjoyed the film version directed by Richard Lester. Or maybe I was just in the mood to buy a "classic" on the day I happened to be in the bookstore. (That happens sometimes, y'know) Either way, I came to enjoy the book on it's own considerable merits. In case you don't know, The Three Musketeers tells the tale of Monsieur D'Artagnan, a young man who comes to Paris in 1627 to seek his fortune. In short order he meets and is befriended by three of the Musketeers--the elite army regiment assigned to protect King Louis XIII. The four men have a variety of adventures, thwarting the schemes of the King's rival, Cardinal Richelieu. The four are true swashbucklers, full of testosterone, bluster and honor. (Well, their own code of honor, a bit different from what might be respected in 21st Century America.) All in all, it's an exciting tale with engaging events and characters.

LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]