Saturday, September 06, 2003

The Scarlet Pimpernel

by Baroness Orczy

No fair! I thought this was an adventure tale, but I think half of the story goes on in the heroine's head! It's almost a chick flick, er, book. (Maybe it is... I haven't intentionally read any "chick books" to compare with.) But it's still an enjoyable read. There are two main threads: one is the mystery of the Scarlet Pimpernel. The year is 1792 and the Reign of Terror of the French Revolution is running rampant. However, some clever Englishmen, known as the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel, are systematically rescuing French aristocrats from the guillotine. The leader and mastermind behind the league is a man of mystery, one that French agent Chauvelin is determined to unmask and arrest. The second plot thread is the marital troubles of the heroine, Marguirite Lady Blakeney. Her husband, Sir Percy, has been quite unloving to her since he heard that she was instrumental in the arrest and execution of the Marquis de St. Cyr and his family. She has a good explanation, but fears that her husband will never care to hear it. How do these two plots come together? Well, read the book and find out. It wasn't much of a mystery to me, but then I had known the answer before I read it. Besides, I am quite familiar with the concept of "secret identities" from all my comic book reading. Anyway, the book is still worth putting on my shelf

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]