Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Mythology

by Edith Hamilton

I was into mythology for a spell way back in my grade school days. I read every mythology book we had in the school library, including this tome. I didn't recall anything specific about it save the name, which I have seen mentioned on and off through the years. Either Ms. Hamilton has a great press agent or she knows her stuff about mythology. Anyway, when I needed to find the source book for The Argonaut Affair, it was a no-brainer to pick this one up.  I had really forgotten how good some of those stories are. And as an adult I could now also appreciate Ms. Hamilton's comments on mythology in general and the various sources she used to assemble her own book. While I couldn't quite share her enthusiasm for the subject, it was enjoyable to hear her lovingly present these tales from ancient Greece and Rome. (and a brief nod to Norse mythology) While my girls already have some great mythology books, written by Ingri and Edgar Parin d'Aulaire, I'm going to keep this one on my shelf for them as well. 

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]