Tuesday, December 30, 2003

The Island of Doctor Moreau

by H. G. Wells

This somewhat short novel tells the tale of a man, Edward Pendrick, who is shipwrecked and ends up on an island populated by one Dr. Moreau, his assistant Montgomery and a cadre of misshapen laborers. As the tale proceeds, we find out that Dr. Moreau is a surgeon performing experiments of questionable morality. And that's all I'm going to say. Now anyone who's into science fiction probably knows the details of the scenario. But on the off chance that you don't, I'll keep mum. After all, some of the story was spoiled for me because I read the introduction which was included in the edition I got from the library. The writer explained some of the allusions Wells had made in the book, so I was denied the pleasure of figuring them out for myself. (Assuming that I would have been able to, that is.) Anyway, Mr. Wells uses the tale to make some comments about his society. Overall it's a good tale, good enough to check out

LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]