Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Carmen, Juliet and Aida, or Three Variations on the Tragic Tales

by my daughter, Coffee

What do you get when you combine the heroines and storylines of three classic works, walk-on appearances by dead composers, Mary Queen of Scots and a few quotes from a computer manual? Well, for me, I got a Christmas present--a handwritten and illustrated manuscript bound into a cardboard and aluminum foil cover with Scotch tape. I also got a unique record of what was on my daughter's mind in 2003: ballets, classical music, the Royal Diaries books and The Robin Williams Mac OS X Book. Now, in all objectivity, the writing and artwork is crude, with all the craft you might expect from a fifth grader. On the other hand, as a father, I have no objectivity, so I think it is a masterpiece, worthy of a most honored place on my shelf. Either way it's just plain weird, just like my kid. Let this serve as a warning to all of you parents who might be thinking about encouraging your child's creativity.

No LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]