Wednesday, April 07, 2004

You Know You're an MK When...

by Andy and Deborah Kerr

This one was an impulse buy from Harvest Logos, the world's most dangerous bookstore. It's a collection of one liners that finish the phrase "You know you're an MK when..." MK, of course, is the abbreviation for Missionary Kid--a child who has been dragged along to some foreign country by their parents, who themselves are doing some sort of church related work. You may wonder why I bought the book. Well, so do I. I mean, my folks weren't missionaries, nor have I dragged my kids off to live in foreign lands. We may do so in a few years, but I don't think that two years teaching ESL in China will give our kids the cultural and emotional baggage (nor the benefits) of growing up in a non-native culture. Perhaps it's a subconscious attempt to identify with real missionaries. Perhaps it's an attempt to better understand those missionaries I help support. Or maybe it was just an amusing book and I needed to buy something from Harvest Logos. Well, whatever the reason, the book is excellent waiting room material: enjoyable and easy to pick up or put down as the need arises.  

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]