Saturday, June 12, 2004

The Web Page Design Cookbook

by William Horton, Lee Taylor, Arthur Ignacio and Nancy L. Hoft

I've been thinking of late about the poor aesthetics of my web sites. Not doing anything about them, mind you. Just thinking. I think I'm being influenced by a lecture on making genealogy pages and my continual browsing of weblogs. So when I saw this tome at the Library sale, I was moved to pick it up. Alas, this book didn't really help. It gives the basics of structuring your site and web pages, but no so much as to how to make them look pretty. It was written circa 1995, back when modem speeds and and other technologies limited one's choices. Even though the book is the same vintage as my computer, I found the references to Mosaic and Lynx quite quaint. Guess there was an internet before Internet Explorer, eh? Anyway, the writing was clear, but not as entertaining as some technical books I've read. The content was somewhat generalized, but they seem to cover all the basics. If it was 1996 and I was designing a web site for my business, I would probably find this to be a good resource. In 2004, however, it's merely waiting room material. The biggest problem with it is that it was written with a companion CD in mind, but that CD never made it to the library sale. Remind me never to write a book with a companion CD. 

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]