Thursday, September 30, 2004

The Liberating Gospel in China

by Ralph R. Covell

For a couple of years now I've signed up for the Harvest Logos bookstore's frequent user club or whatever they call it. Actually, I hope it's not a frequent users club, because I hardly go there as often as I'd like to. However, membership is based on giving them money up front rather than building up equity in your purchases, so I suppose I won't be kicked out. Anyway, one of the perks is that when you sign up or renew your membership, you get to pick a free book or CD off of their remnant shelf. The selection wasn't great, but we found this one, which seemed like it would fit in with our interest in Chinese culture. It was good waiting room material. Informative, too. I have a (bad) tendency to think of foreign countries as homogeneous--that the U.S. is the only country to experience immigration and ethnic minorities. As any good student of history or social studies will tell you, however, that isn't the case at all. This book looks at some of the ethnic minorities in China--specifically their response to Christian missionaries in the past few centuries. It's an interesting mix of cultural history and missionary anecdotes, with a dash of analysis thrown in. It wasn't a life changing tome, at least for me, but it did reinforce my belief that there's no single formula for sharing the Gospel. 

LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]