Sunday, December 10, 2006

Anne Frank's Tales From the Secret Annex

by Anne Frank

This is another one of those books that I picked up out of guilt. I would imagine that most folks in the Western world have heard of Anne Frank, the teenage girl who hid with her family in a house in World War II Holland. I, too, had heard of her, back when I was a kid. What I never did, either as a child or adult, was actually read her famous diary. So when we were sorting through a stack of books being lent to us, I saw her famous picture and said, "Oooh, Anne Frank, I should read that." Of course, this is not her diary. It's some other writings--stories and essays--that she happened to write back in the 1940's. So I read the book, attempting to fulfill some karmic obligation or something. It's not great--really just waiting room material. There are no themes or stories that I found really compelling. But they are good. The kid showed some potential. The fact that both her and her potential contribution to humanity were snuffed out in some damned concentration camp is a crime. So go ahead and give the Nazis the proverbial finger and give the book a read.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]