Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Summons

by John Grisham

If I ever travel to Mississippi, or maybe even Memphis, I have a sneaking hunch I'll be reminded of China. Not that there's any real connection between the two areas, but rather since I've read so many John Grisham books during my sojourn in the Far East. This one is set in Clanton, Mississippi, the same setting for the novels A Time to Kill and The Last Juror. The hero of the tale is Ray Atlee, who is summoned home to Clanton by his ailing father. He arrives to discover that his father has died. Ray also discovers a potentially deadly secret. He attempts to discover the mystery behind the secret while wrestling with the problem of whether to reveal or keep it. The Summons isn't as good as the other two Clanton-based books I read, but I'm still glad I checked it out. The characters are a joy to read, even if I wince at their foibles, and the plot kept me interested until the end.
LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]