Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Entropy Effect

by Vonda N. McIntyre

When we got a donation to the English library many months ago, imagine my surprise to find this one among the books given. I remember purchasing a copy many years ago, enticed by the cover illustration of Kirk, Spock and Sulu dressed in uniforms from Star Trek:The Motion Picture. I was a bit disappointed to discover that the story was not set after the events of the movie, but was one that fits in better with the series chronology. Ah, well. I decided to give the book another reading and found it to be standard Star Trek fare--waiting room material to while away a few hours. It does seem to be a bit longer than the Trek novels I've read recently, or at least the type is set in a smaller point size. In the story, the Enterprise is summoned away from observing a singularity for the seeming routine task of transporting a convicted murderer across a solar system. Of course, the prisoner escapes (or does he?) and wreaks havoc on the ship. The book has all the standard Trek novel features: a new character with emotional involvement with one of the regular crew, alien crew members that would never have made it on screen in the TV series, the meddling bureaucrat and a neat, happy ending. Since I didn't have high expectations, my only real complaint is that I don't care for Ms. McIntyre's take on Scotty. She makes him far more thin skinned than I think is appropriate for his character.
LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]