Friday, July 13, 2007

Legion of Super-Heroes: Teenage Revolution

by Mark Waid and Barry Kitson

This is a compilation of The Legion of Super-Heroes issues 1 through 6. The 2004 edition, that is. It's another reboot of the Legion, a concept created back in the 50s. (At one time I knew what year the Legion first appeared--I think I'm losing my fanboy status.) I've been a Legion fan on and off for years. I've been turned off by some of the darker visions of the group. This generation, however, is intriguing. The setting is somewhat dark--the government is oppressive, there are wholesale slaughters happening on distant planets, etc. Yet the Legion itself has an element of hope, an idealism that is shooting for a better way of life. Another unusual aspect is that the Legion has an undercurrent of rebellion which I don't recall seeing in its previous incarnations. When I first noticed it, I was a bit taken aback. Was I just reacting to finding a new concept in an old familiar package? Or am I just getting to darn old and identifying with the grown-ups more than the teenage heroes of the story? I don't know. I do know that the latest version of the Legion is worth checking out, if for no other reason than this particular collection leaves a lot of plot lines dangling.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]