Wednesday, July 11, 2007

New Frontier: Volumes I & II

by Darwyn Cooke with Dave Stewart

New Frontier was a six-issue miniseries set in the "Silver Age" of DC Comics, from the mid 1950s through the 1960s. The stories from that era were the first I had ever read, and the superheroes I enjoyed had, for the most part, been defined in that era. New Frontier is not a return to that era of storytelling, but rather an attempt to fuse the Silver Age spirit with modern, more adult storytelling. I have a love-hate relationship with modern comics. There have been some great stories out there, but over all I think the attempt to be realistic drags the escapist fantasy down into the mud. Mr. Cooke, however, has done a good job of recasting those old characters into a modern mold, while retaining the old fashioned optimism of the stories of my youth. If you're a middle-aged boy like me, I'd recommend this as a book to check out.
LibraryThing links: I & II

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]