Friday, September 14, 2007

The Two Towers

by J.R.R. Tolkien

When I started this, the second book of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I expected the story to lag, as so often happens in the middle of trilogies. (I had read it before, back when I was young and couldn't appreciate quality when I read it. I had forgotten most of the book.) The tale contained the further adventures of the Fellowship of the Ring--the comrades of Frodo Baggins who are helping him in his mission. In this book the Fellowship has had to split up and each group faces their own adventures. The story is a bit darker than the first volume--the threats a bit more harrowing. But that just gives the heroes more chance to shine and makes for a better tale. Rather than lagging, the story increased my interest and made me eager to dive into the next part. So now I have to put this back on my shelf and go grab The Return of the King.
LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]