Saturday, October 20, 2007

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

by J.K. Rowling

This book let me recapture my youth. You see, back in the day, my window to the popular culture was Mad Magazine. By reading its parodies of movies and the like, I picked up a lot of references without actually experiencing the original works themselves. Flash forward to the 21st Century. Unlike most of the rest of the world (it seems like) I had not read any of the Harry Potter books. It was a fad and these days I just let fads pass me by unless they really pique my interest. (Like, say, blogging.) But when I did finally crack this book--the first in the series--I found it quite familiar. It was populated by all sorts of characters from the Torg Potter strips on Sluggy Freelance. Like "Torg Potter", the world of Harry Potter is enjoyable and fun. Not quite as funny, but enjoyable nonetheless. While the writing didn't live up to all the hype surrounding the series, it was very readable. The characters are memorable, if somewhat shallow, and the world of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is a fascinating place to explore. I'll definitely want to check out the rest of the series.

LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]