Saturday, October 13, 2007

Rich Dad Poor Dad

by Robert T. Kiyosaki with Sharon L. Lechter

"And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry.'"
But God said to him, "You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?"

That parable popped into my mind when I read this book. This book is about "what the rich teach their kids about money that the poor and middle class do not." It's not so much a manual on how to get rich, but more of a book on the underlying worldview of the wealthy. In it Mr. Kiyosaki contrasts his own father--Poor Dad--who got a good education, worked hard, but never quite made it big, with the father of one of his friends, who was quite successful and took Mr. Kiyosaki under his wing. I was moved to read this book because, as I've been looking over my finances, I wonder if I might not have been doing things wrong. It turns out that I'm not totally off Mr. Kiyosaki's track. By the grace of God I've been able to avoid major debt and I tend to avoid transient luxuries such as fancy cars and the latest electronic gadgets. (Of course, my two year "vacation" overseas was hardly a wealth building choice.) On the other hand, I'm too lazy to work hard and invest my finances responsibly. I'm content to stick my excess cash in the bank and forget about it. So has the book changed me? I don't know. I don't need to be rich, but I sure do covet the financial independence that wealth can buy. Even while I recognize the wisdom that Mr. Kiyosaki offers, I couldn't really buy into his world view. I'm going to have to think about this some more before I make any lifestyle changes. Could I recommend this book? Well, it was an enjoyable read despite the fact that I find finances boring. But I have two big reservations about it. The first that it was written about ten years ago, in a different financial climate. The second is that Mr. Kiyosaki has other books and materials for sale. I sometimes wonder if maybe the unspoken secret to financial success is to get a lot of people to buy your books and attend your seminars. Caveat emptor!

It's only waiting room material.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]