Monday, December 24, 2007

There's Treasure Everywhere

by Bill Watterson

There is a number of shticks I associate with Calvin and Hobbes--Spaceman Spiff, meetings of G.R.O.S.S., conflicts with Roslyn the babysitter--but it wasn't until I started rereading the strips in order did I appreciate how the strip developed and changed over the years. One thing that surprised me was that the shtick of Calvin's unique snowman creations developed rather late in the series. There have been a few strips here and there in the past collections, but in There's Treasure Everywhere, Calvin's unique snow artistry really bursts out in all it's glory. Anyway, to me that's the most memorable aspect of this particular collection. Of course, there are plenty of other strips as well. At this stage in the strip, Watterson had starting writing more philosophical gags rather than the hysterical Calvinesque capers, but it's still funny. And that's what counts, doesn't it?

Keepin' it on my shelf.
LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]