Saturday, September 20, 2008

To Kill a Mockingbird

by Harper Lee

Hmmm. I'm a bit intimidated in trying to write a review of this one. It's a classic after all. A wonderfully textured and layered tale of prejudice in 1930s Alabama. How can I hope to do justice with a little review? I mean, without actually making a serious effort? Perhaps I can't. Ah, well. Suffice it to say that this is the account of a rape trial as seen through the eyes of 8-year-old "Scout" Finch, the daughter of Atticus Finch, the defense attorney. A black man has been accused of raping a young white woman and the resulting trial pushes all sorts of feelings and beliefs into the daylight. Actually, when I say that this is an account of the trial, it's like saying a tree is its trunk. The trial is the main plotline around which all the other plotlines and characters and setting intertwine. It's a fascinating read.

Ah, I think I'll keep it on my shelf.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]