Monday, March 23, 2009

For Whom the Bell Tolls

by Ernest Hemingway

This one has a real simple premise: an American has to blow up a bridge in the mountains of Spain during the country's civil war. So why does that little tale take 471 pages to tell? Because Mr. Hemingway is such a durn good writer, that's why. His characters drew me into the tale as they interacted with each other, conflicting and working together in the face of their goal and the overall fight against the fascists. They also found plenty of time to muse about life in general. But lest you think it was all characterization, Mr. Hemingway also craftily built the suspense until I suddenly found myself worrying whether they would get that obscenity bridge or not. I'll definitely have to read more from this guy.

Check. It. Out. Trust me on this.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]