Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Count of Monte Cristo

by Alexandre Dumas

Okay, this year I got around to reading the real Monte Cristo. Last year, you may recall, I had picked up an abridged version and was well over halfway through before I discovered my error. I finished the book and at the next library sale, I made sure to pick up the full version in all its massive wordiness. It was just as enjoyable the second time through, though knowing the plot, I was able to give more attention to M. Dumas' craft. It really is a melodramatic tome. A big, fat, honkin' melodrama that really doesn't offer deep insights into the human condition. But, oh, what fun!

This one stays on my shelf.
LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]