Tuesday, September 22, 2009

When I Was Nine

by John Jaech

This one's a second volume of news headlines interspersed with personal comments and recollections, this time from 1938. While the most interesting part of the previous volume was Uncle John's take on local events, in When I Was Nine, I found the international news to be more intriguing. As Europe drew closer to war, the German-American Jaech family had to re-evaluate their opinions on what was happening in Germany. And ironically, looking back from the 21st Century, Japan's activities in China were pretty much ignored at the supper table discussions. It's quite a blessing to have this bit of family history.

It's on my shelf, even though I'm only an in-law.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]