Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Complete Peanuts: 1973 to 1974

by Charles Schulz

My wife, the family Peanuts maven, has declared that this is the first volume of The Complete Peanuts that she will not be purchasing. In her opinion, Schulz's comic genius had lost its edge by this time in the life of the strip. It's also past the era when she would eagerly search the daily paper for her Peanuts fix, so unlike, say, the previous volume of the collection, this book has little nostalgic appeal. Such is her opinion. For myself, I've never been a major Peanuts fan. The strip is worth reading, certainly. I'm just not going to go out of my way to find it. So, I didn't check this book out of the library. But I certainly read it when my wife did so. It's funny--full of the antics of Charlie Brown and Peppermint Patty, Snoopy and Woodstock. For me, it also evoked a bit of nostalgia when Schulz would make the occasional reference to then latest fads. (Streaking and the the metric system! Woo-hoo!) All in all, it's definitely worth checking out. I'll just have to find something else to give my wife for Christmas.

LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]