Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Way of the Cross in Human Relations

by Guy Franklin Hershberger

This is a challenging book on Mennonite ethics published in 1958. The challenge, of course, being all the little pricks to my conscience as Dr. Hershberger explained the way a Christian should live. Simply put, the book says that a Christian should be living a life of service to Christ--which works out in practical terms to putting the needs of others before yourself. Even if I don't agree with his every opinion as to how that should be accomplished, there are plenty of points on which he has something to say. But I did find the book to be more than just a big guilt trip. It was interesting to look at the topic of ethics from another tradition than my own. It was interesting to hear Menno Simons quoted with the same respect that I hear given to Martin Luther in my own church. Dr. H makes a good case for his beliefs and I had to turn some of those over in my mind a bit, examining my own positions on a couple of issues. It was also interesting to soak in a bit of the 1950s American atmosphere in which the book was written. I wondered what words a Mennonite scholar might have for today's society. But, of course, in the end it would be mere window dressing. The underlying issues are timeless and as relavant in 2011 as they were in 1958, not to mention 2000 years ago.

It's on my shelf... well, technically her shelf.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]