Friday, July 22, 2011

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower

by C.S. Forester

I once read an article that compared Captain James T. Kirk, of Star Trek to Captain Horatio Hornblower. In fact, if I recall correctly, the article even said that Hornblower was one of the inspirations for Captain Kirk. I resolved then and there to read some of those Hornblower novels, as they were undoubtedly good stuff. So now it's thirty or so years later and I've read my first one. Don't let anyone, not even my wife--especially not my wife--tell you that I never get around to reading the books on my reading list.

Um, where was I? Ah, yes. Horatio Hornblower. This is not the first Hornblower novel ever written, but it is the first in the series chronology. It tells the tale of Horatio Hornblower's first voyages in the 1790's as a midshipman in His Majesty's Navy. Actually, I should say "tales", as the book is more like a collection of short stories rather than a single narrative. While he doesn't quite explore strange, new worlds, Hornblower does have some interesting adventures as he faces the dangers--of both man and nature--on land and sea. It's definitely a keeper.

On my shelf, it is!
LibraryThing link

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]