Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Revolution in World Missions

by K.P. Yohannan

I've mixed feelings about this one. I can't figure out if it's a 226 page sermon or sales pitch. Dr. Yohannan is of the opinion that the era of sending missionaries from the West to third world mission fields is over. It's time, he argues, for Western Christians to finance evangelists from the third world instead. It makes sense. After all, someone from the third world is more able to adapt to a simplified lifestyle that's in line with the people he or she are trying to reach. Also, they don't have the taint of Western imperialism that sticks to us folks from America and Europe. I have to agree. However... I couldn't quite get behind the book. I'm sure part of the reason is that Dr. Yohannan's criticisms of the typical American Christian lifestyle stung a bit. I can never be faulted for spending too little on myself and not enough on charity. But I think a deeper reason is that Dr. Yohannan sounds like he has discerned God's mission for his own life, and now thinks that it's also God's mission for the rest of the Church. Me, I'm not convinced. Still, it definitely is a book we Christians should read, if not to challenge your own lifestyle, than to hear yet another way God is spreading the Good News.

Check it out, I dare you.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]