Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Mysterious Island

by Jules Verne

I've been thinking about reading this book for quite a while. Long ago I saw a movie adaption on TV, and after I had enjoyed another book by Jules Verne, I figured I should read this book as well. I was quite surprised to discover that there were no giant crabs. It's just a simple adventure story about five men cast away on an uncharted island. Fortunately, one of the castaways is your classic, master-of-every-scientific-fact hero who is so prevalent in early science fiction. He doesn't quite get around to building a subway on the island, but he pretty much builds everything else. This book is typical 19th Century fare--many pages of expository dialogue voiced by dramatically emotional characters. It was a nice change of pace from the short books I had been reading.

Waiting room material for a looooong wait.  
LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]