Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Decade of Nightmares

by Philip Jenkins

Where have all the hippies gone? I used to wonder that back before I encountered Jesus People USA and the Northwest Folklife festival. It seemed a bit odd that Woodstock gave way to Rambo. Did the children of the sixties sell out? Well, Professor Jenkins has a pretty good take on the question. He shows how the America of Ronald Reagan was a logical outgrowth of the America of Lyndon Johnson. It was an interesting read. I lived through the era, but in sheltered suburbia, I was oblivious to a lot of what went on. Ones ideals always need to be tempered or possibly even changed by real life, and sometimes you're hardly even aware that it's going on. After reading Decade, I can see how folks ended up voting for Reagan in 1980 and 1984. I still wouldn't do it myself, mind you, but I can understand how some might.

Check it out.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]