Thursday, October 08, 2015

Stars and Stripes Forever

by Harry Harrison

Not that you could tell it from perusing my book shelf, but there are alternate history tales out there that have not been written by Harry Turtledove. This one speculates as to what might have happened had Prince Albert of England had not counseled his country to stay out of America's Civil War. Maybe my opinions have been warped by reading so much Turtledove, but while Mr. Harrison's tale is interesting, I found it lacking. Events moved too quickly for my taste and some of those were a bit hard for me to swallow. Given the smaller number of pages--333, compared to 618 in the last Turtledove book I read--the characters in Stars and Stripes Forever seem more shallow, and less interesting.

Not bad, for waiting room material.
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]