Friday, August 05, 2016

Prisoners of Geography

by Tim Marshall

I recently figured out that the thread that ties together most of my reading is that I want to know how stuff works. Whether I'm perusing a book of maps, reading a magazine article on bird migration, or delving into the history of America in the 1850's, I'm driven to find out how things are put together and what they do once they're running.

I figured this out while pondering just why I had to read this book. Prisoners of Geography attempts to explain how the physical landscape has affected the history and will shape the future of different areas of the world. Of course, when Mr. Marshall speaks of geography, he not only covers the natural formations of land and sea, but also those lines that governments have drawn on their maps, sometimes to the detriment of the people living in the regions depicted there. It was an interesting take on history and politics, well worth reading.

Check it out!
LibraryThing link

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]