Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wings

by Michael A. Martin

I tried to think of a concise way to relate the initial plot of this book. The problem is, (besides my lack of writing skills) is that this novel is half a story that takes place after one or two other novels. (Not to mention four seasons of television episodes.) Although Mr. Martin does bring the reader up to speed, I'm a bit stymied as to how to pull off a similar feat here. So let me simply put it this way: The crew of the Earth ship Enterprise (NX-01) fight against Romulans. Mr. Martin tells the tale in a way I liked from Harry Turtledove's Timeline-191 series, capturing the events of the larger conflict from the viewpoints of different characters around the galaxy. However, I didn't find many of the characters very compelling and would much rather have read a tale that only featured the Enterprise crew.

There's a lot of waiting in wartime, so it's appropriate to rate this waiting room material.
LibraryThing link

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]